Disc brakes have been developed since 1890 and first applied on cars in 1902.
This short article focuses on Truck and Bus applications, and only in a few words. For overall history you may visit this Wiki article.
Knorr-Bremse was the first to introduce a hydraulic system on Setra S200 busses in 1973.
Air-brake system brake calipers were first introduced on Renault R420 Trucks in 1988 by Meritor (type D2).
The other makers quickly followed: Bendix (later acquired by Knorr-Bremse) on Iveco Eurocargo (type ADB3700), Knorr-Bremse on Neoplan Transliner and Bova Futura (both SB7 type), and Wabco on Neoplan Metroliner (type 1000 VG)...all of them quickly following in short sequence, still in 1990.
The well known Mercedes Actros was equipped with SB7 type brake calipers made by Knorr-Bremse in 1995.
The number of installed brake calipers overtook drum brakes +/- 2003. The progress unstoppable ever since.
And finally the link to Youtube animation video about Arvin Meritor EX225 brake caliper in action (a must to see for all professionals).
Looking for caliper repair kits? Consider this:
- Nobody knows caliper repair kits better than reman experts, like us. Period.
- Our webshops recognises 16.255 (!) different part numbers. Try that!
- Extensive stocking and same day dispatch. All within the EU.
- Quantity discounts available from displayed prices.
- No minimum order quantity!